Every ZipKey-enabled device is associated with a Device Type. You define the Device Type in the Management Center. The device type defines the characteristics for a set of devices. This includes:
- Name. This is the name for this Device Type.
- Image. This is a picture of the device. This will appear in the app and can help to confirm that a device of the correct type is being onboarded.
- Domains. The domains that devices of this type will reach. Some of the ZipKey networks may allow limited internet access, and if so, this list of domains specifies what access is desired. Other ZipKey networks may only allow access to the Cirrent cloud, so that the device will need to move over to the private network before it can gain access to these domains.
- Domain access. Whether devices of this type require access to these domains for normal product operation. Note that some ZipKey networks will not allow access to these domains, so that the device will need to move over to the private network before it can gain access to these domains.
- Identifying Action. This is an optional feature that the app may use. If the device supports this capability, the user can ask the app to have the device identify itself. The app will send the command to the device (via the Cirrent cloud). The device should identify itself (e.g. play a sound, or flash a light). The text describes to the user what they should see or hear.
- User Action. This is an optional feature that the app may use, for added security during the on boarding process. If the device supports it, the app can require that the user take action to show they are in range of this device (e.g. press a button on the device). The text describes the action that the user must take.
- ZipKey AP. Whether devices of this Device Type will also be a ZipKey hotspot (for onboarding other ZipKey-enabled devices).
- Public or private ZipKey AP. When a device of this Device Type is a ZipKey hotspot, whether access is only allowed to ZipKey devices from this product company (private ZipKey hotspot) or from all ZipKey devices (public ZipKey hotspot).